I am a dark chocolate kinda gal. Life is too short to have a watery, grainy, burnt, or super sweet hot chocolate. My favorite hot chocolate is my personal recipe, which of course, has its secrets.
The Scrumptious Secrets?
If it's raining, snowing, or you are craving chocolate, it's time for a Maple Hot Chocolate.
Maple Hot Chocolate
Time: 10 minutes Yields: 1 cup of hot chocolate (if you have a big mug, add half the recipe)
- 1 cup Milk (I used 2% - almond or soy milk are good too)
- 1 1/2 Tbs Unsweetened Cacao
- 1 1/2 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract (I always add an extra drop)
- 1 tsp Your Favorite Caramel (I used Salted Bourbon from Fat Toad Farm)
- Dash of Sea Salt
- Whipped Cream
For those who prefer milk chocolate, only use 1 Tbs of Cacao and 1.5 Tbs Syrup.
- Put milk in a small to medium saucepan on medium to medium-low heat.
- Add Cacao, Syrup, Vanilla, and Salt. Use a whisk to blend the ingredients together.
- Stir occasionally. The key is to make sure you don't burn the chocolate. MAKE SURE THE MILK NEVER BOILS
- Once it begins to steam and smell super scrumptious, pour the hot chocolate into your mug.
- Add Whipped Cream and drizzle caramel on Whipped Cream. Feel free to add a little extra Sea Salt on top.
- Enjoy! And try to take small sips :p
Feel free to add a shot of espresso or something a little harder (i.e. Frangelica).